FlightGear World Scenery — v1.0.1 and v2.0.1
FlightGear scenery is available for the entire world. There are two versions available:
- v1.0.1 is an older world scenery build. You can think of it as “SD” or standard detail level. The entire world consumes about 12Gb compressed and fits onto a 3-DVD set. In some places this scenery is referred to as version 2.12 which matches the version of FlightGear that was current at the time this world scenery set was generated. Some people prefer this scenery version because it is simpler and allows FlightGear to run at faster frame rates on less capable computer hardware.
- v2.0.1 is a newer world scenery build based on updated and more detailed source information. Think of it as “HD” or high detail. It has wonderful details through the European region, and pretty good detail through the USA. It consumes about 86Gb compressed and fits on a 4-bluray + 1-dvd.
Getting the World Scenery for FlightGear
- v1.0.1 “SD” via a Graphical Interface – Click on the 10×10 degree section to download the corresponding scenery.
- v2.0.1 “HD” via a Graphical Interface – Click on the 10×10 degree section to download the corresponding scenery.
- v2.0.1 via Terrasync. Terrasync is an in-app service that will download the local scenery ahead of where you are flying. This is a great way to keep current, but requires an active internet connection, and may trigger quite a bit of bandwidth usage as you fly.
- From the FlightGear store – If your bandwidth is limited or expensive, you can avoid huge downloads and purchase the complete FlightGear distribution including both Windows and MacOSX installers, the full (and most recent) world scenery set, the entire collection of aircraft, and source code.
When downloading and installing scenery, the files are named according to the coordinates of their lower, left hand corner.
There is a utility available (now built into FlightGear) called “terrasync”. This utility runs in the background in a separate process, monitors your position, and downloads (or updates) the latest greatest scenery from the master scenery server “just in time”. The wiki has more information on launching and running terrasync.